In this Advent season of expectation, anticipating Christ’s birth, let us join with Mary who is rejoicing as she is pregnant with the possibilities and promises of God.
Luke 1:46-55 is known as Mary’s song or the Magnificat (my soul magnifies the Lord) as Mary celebrates and rejoices the anticipated birth. The song of praise is worth following as we await with Mary for God’s presence in our own lives and in our own situations. How do we wait? With expectancy, confident in the promises and possibilities of God.
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
Jeremiah 29:11 NIV
Mary and God. How do we approach God in the time of waiting?
- Her soul proclaims and her spirit rejoices
- Mary knows and declares that God sees her
- Mary knows that, through God’s promise, she has a future and a legacy
Her response? She must declare that “Holy is his name!”
(Mary proclaims) God is:
- God is our mercy…to every generation (yes you too millennials)
- God is our strength. He scatters the proud and cast down the mighty. He lifts the humble. Let him fight your battles.
- God is our provision. He fills the hungry with their needs. Let us pray for his provision for all in need.
(Mary knows) God Transcends
- He helps his people in Christ
- He remembers his eternal promises to our ancestors and from the beginning of time.
Let us join with Mary, pregnant with the possibilities and promises of God and declare glory to his name!