Sermon Summary. In Acts 4:23-31, we see Peter, John and the community of faith come together in spite of the pressure and the persecution. From the time of the crucifixion of Christ, this community of faith was threatened and persecuted. But, rather than bow down to the negativity and the pressure, the people of God seek God for boldness. They ask God for boldness – boldness even in the midst of life’s most challenging burdens. We must do the same, especially when we find ourselves heavy with life’s burdens. We must not shrink but press on . . . press forward and pray that the Lord would bless us with Godly boldness.
Important of the Community of Faith (verses 23-24). When Peter and John left their jailers, they had someplace to go. They went back to their own people and prayed together.
1. As we deal with burdens of the world, how important is it to have a community of faith?
2. Why is it important?
3. What did they do in response to their situation?
Elements of their Prayer. There is a lot to be learned from the prayer of this community as we walk through verses 24-27. They acknowledge God and the reality of their enemies.
1. How do they acknowledge a God in verse 24?
2. Why is this important?
Prayer and the Enemies of the Cross. In verses 25-27, we see them pray about and acknowledge God’s enemies.
1. What enemies do they mention in verse 25? 26?? 27???
2. How long do we see that God and God’s people have been under attack?
3. Why is this important to know?
God is in Control. In verse 28, despite all of the challenges, we see one important and critical thing. No matter what happens, God is still in control.
1. Why is this important to know?
2. How does this connect to Romans 8:28?
Godly Boldness. In verse 29-31, the people of God ask for Godly boldness in the midst of burdens. He responds. We must do the same.
1. What two things do they ask in verse 29
2. Do we ask these same things?
3. What else do they ask God to do through then in verse 30?
4. Do we ask these same things? Why or why not?
We see in verse 31 that God responds to prayer for boldness in the midst of all of their burdens. The power of the Holy Spirit falls on them and they move in powerful and bold ways. It is my prayer that we will seek boldness (overcoming our fears) and move with boldness in every way that the Lord guides – to bless others and to glorify God.